Meal Prepping Week 5
Week of September 25th
What a week! We had family to come into town this past weekend so prep time got shifted a couple days later. My food choices have not been particularly great this week specifically due to the fact that hubby baked his yummy pound cake this week. I ate way more slices than I knew I should have, but I thoroughly enjoyed the treat! Things went relatively smoothly this week in the kitchen as I stuck with some easy meals. I prepared spaghetti and meatballs, barbecue meatballs, jerk shredded chicken, and tuna salad with orzo pasta.
I prepared the following:
- 2 lbs of Wild Caught Salmon (oven baked and seasoned with garlic, pepper, and salt)
- 2.5 lbs of Chicken (boiled, shredded, seasoned with Jerk Seasoning and Barbecue)
- 2 lbs of Turkey Meatballs (1lb for spaghetti and 1lb for barbecue meatballs)
- 15 Eggs (boiled)
- Tuna (canned)
- White Rice + Red Quinoa
- Orzo (used the canned tuna to make a tuna and orzo salad; the orzo gave a nice texture to the salad compared to the traditional elbow noodle)
- Okra (frozen; oven baked)
- Sweet Potato (half the batch was baked whole, the other half roasted into medallions)
- Cabbage (boiled in the pot…I usually like it sautéed with a little crunch but I had a big head of it. I just chopped it all up and threw into a big pot)
- Broccoli (raw; roasted in oven)
- Peas (frozen; steamed in bag)
Final results of prepping/cooking
What I learned in the process and tips
- Oatmeal is our absolute staple breakfast so it would be wise for me to not forget to make a batch of it in the mix of the prep process. Because this week has been busy especially with me working on a few website projects, Z starting two before and after school programs, and other life happenings, fixing oatmeal each morning was not the most expedient thing to do.
- Before freezing fresh chicken, I need to make sure the raw chicken is packaged flat. I simply threw the rolled up package of chicken right into the freezer. And guess what? It took forever to thaw in the center. Thank goodness for the pressure cooker hence the nicely shredded chicken!
Plans for meal prepping next week
I have some tofu I need to use so I am thinking barbecue tofu again. I picked up a couple packets of white chicken chili seasoning mix at Aldi a few days ago so I will try out a white chicken and bean chili to welcome in this lovely cool fall weather. To go with the chili, I may make a batch of homemade cornbread…pumpkin flavored perhaps? I have been meaning to make some Asian chicken noodle soup for a few weeks now so next week could be the week! Meatballs will likely make another appearance since they are so easy to prepare especially as lunches for Z. I bought some cute pumpkin shaped butternut squash noodles at Trader Joe’s this week (because that store is currently busting with all things pumpkin) that I would like to try especially with Aaron. He has gotten his little teeth into pasta and sauce and is loving it so far!
My goal going forward
My goal is to create my next few meals mainly using items from my pantry before going out and buying too many new items. I am thankful for the resources God has provided to help us have a full pantry and want to be wise in how I manage over my blessings. I cannot believe it has been a month since I have started meal prepping! My initial goal of 1 month has been achieved. No, I am not a pro at it yet, but I have definitely gotten a better hang of the ordeal. Busy weeks make meal prepping super challenging. However, I have continued to show some grace toward myself when things do not go as planned. I will recap my experience so far in an upcoming post.