What is shampooing?
What are the benefits to shampooing?
- cleaner scalp, which makes for a healthier growing environment
- cleaner hair, which can better absorb products/moisture
What are the different types of shampoos?
What is the best shampoo to use?
How do we shampoo our hair?
- Divide hair into 4-6 sections. Usually done after pre-pooing the hair.
- Thoroughly rinse entire head under warm (not hot) water for a few minutes to help loosen and remove first layer of debris from scalp and hair. This also helps the shampoo to penetrate through hair onto the scalp easily.
- Dilute shampoo (1-2 tbsp per 8oz) in an applicator bottle to better apply shampoo onto the scalp for thorough cleansing. This is optional, but it really helps stretch those expensive products.
- Taking one section, apply shampoo to scalp and massage area well to ensure the scalp gets clean.
- Next, apply shampoo to hair and gently run hands down the length of the section (from root to tip) to remove debris. It is not recommended to detangle or run a brush/comb through hair at this step. The main concern is cleansing only.
- Loosely twist or clip section and cleanse remaining sections (scalp and hair)
- Rinse really well under warm water.
How often to shampoo?
The answer to this question varies greatly from one person to the next. For us, we shampoo our hair every other week, and co-wash on the other weeks. This has been working well for us, and we intend to continue this schedule. For those building a basic regimen, several questions much be considered based on your unique situation/lifestyle:
- Do you sweat a lot naturally (especially over the summer or wearing wigs/weaves/hats)?
- Do you exercise a lot? Swim?
- Is your hair naturally oily?
- Do you add heavy product to your hair regularly?
- Do you have dry/itchy/flaky scalp?
- What season is it? Winter weather can be drier on the hair and may decrease the need to wash hair as often as in the summer.