Products I used to African thread Z’s hair included my homemade moisturizing spritz (which changes often…this time I used aloe vera juice, distilled water, and Shea Moisture Curl Milk), coconut oil, and my whipped shea butter mix. The oil was for her scalp and the shea butter was used as a sealant.
One thing I wanted to do different for this second set of Ghana plaits was to wrap the thread closer together on each plait. In contrast to the corkscrew look of the first set, these plaits came out stiffer and more elongated, which is what I was aiming for since I wanted this set to be arranged into an updo instead of hanging down freely. My goal this fall and winter is to keep those ends protected!
When it comes to coming up with creative parting, I struggle with this feat. I guess that is why I pin so many pins on pinterest of children’s natural hairstyles to help guide me and give me some inspiration on how to part for a style. However, what I had in mind as an updo for this set of Ghana plaits sure did not come out that way after I finished parting and threading her hair. Nevertheless, I still liked how the plaits came out and knew that I will make this style work.
Once I completed the plaits, I definitely gained a clearer understanding on how to secure the base of each plait better than my first time without having to wrap the thread around 50 million times. 🙂 My confidence is growing in this technique, and I look forward to mastering it in the future (once I go and buy tons of weaving thread!).
Although I planned for her ends to go into some type of updo, I still moisturized and sealed them really well. I am hoping that this set of Ghana plaits last two weeks. Stay tuned for the next post to find out how I ultimately decided to style this set of Ghana plaits!